JOB TITLE: Bilingual Community Education Specialist
Reports To: Prevention, Education, and Outreach Director
Please apply at: https://sohlv.bamboohr.com/careers/26
This individual must be proficient in both English and Spanish. This position is responsible for providing coordination of prevention and education programs, workshops, and trainings to the community at large, with an emphasis on, but not limited to, the Latinx community, particularly Spanish speaking clients. Serves as a facilitator for Signs of HOPE’s adult-focused programs and curriculums, including, but not limited to, Enough Abuse, StaySAFE, SAINT, Sexual Assault 101, and SOH’s in-services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Awareness and knowledge of the Latino community in relation to sexual violence and exploitation.
- Maintains up-to-date best practice research around the topics of cultural competency and sexual violence prevention.
- Responsible for the coordination, scheduling, and communication between Signs of HOPE (SOH) and external agencies for the delivery of prevention and education programs.
- Delivers and facilitates presentations, workshops, and trainings to parents, adults, professionals, and the community at large in English and Spanish. May also facilitate educational opportunities for SOH staff.
- Maintains the Prevention, Education, and Outreach (PEO) Master Calendar with scheduled programming.
- Collects data and feedback on programs and presentations. Assist PEO Director with grant reporting, as needed.
- Assists the Community Engagement Manager in event planning and the coordination of outreach events as needed.
- Assists the Community Engagement Manager in outreach to the Latino and Spanish-speaking communities to promote prevention and education programs.
- Regular communication with the Latino-facing community-based agencies to identify training and outreach/speaking opportunities.
- Represents SOH and the PEO Department in external committees, task forces, and other relevant partnerships that will help spread the word of the programs and services at SOH.
- As with all positions in the organization, this person is expected to complete and graduate from SOH’s Advocacy University.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Client and Customer Service – Able to work with diverse populations; Manages challenging or emotional individuals situations; Responds promptly to needs of clients, advocates, and other staff.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral and Written Communication – Able to communicate and understand written materials fluently in English and Spanish; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings. Is an excellent spokesperson and representative for the organization to the community; Asks supervisors and/or other approved subject matter experts for assistance when necessary; Puts out excellent and error free written work product; Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback.
- Planning/Organizing – Uses time efficiently; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Dependability –Follows instructions, Responds to management direction; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Innovation – Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ interest.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities. Must maintain and have available an active working phone and reliable transportation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
$23.00 per hour
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Successful candidates must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college in education, human services, social work, gender studies, or related field required or equivalent work experience. Skills and experience with curriculum and materials development strongly preferred. At least two years of teaching or education and training experience preferred. Those selected for the position will have to complete a 50 hour advocate training.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to traverse spaces; reach for, lift and move objects and speak/listen. Must be able to lift/move items of up to 10 pounds regularly, up to 20 pounds occasionally, and over 20 pounds rarely.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level and lighting in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $23.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Las Vegas, NV: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person